Books & Sites
I recently sat through a three-day course. One of the people sitting at my table had taken the course before and decided to use his device as his companion throughout the course. By the third day he had texted, checked stocks, and read articles. I realized that I allowed and indulged the distraction. There is something about the way we communicate today that compels us to continue, even when it would be ideal to communicate a different way. This realization nudged me to reconsider texting and online manners. Please scroll down to the links below "Electronic Life and Next Gen Tech".
- Chodron, Pema. Awakening Loving Kindness. 1996.
- Dowrick, Stephanie. Everyday Kindness: Shortcuts to a Happier and More Confident Life. 2012.
- Pogrebin, Letty Cottin. How to be a Friend to a Friend Who's Sick. 2013.
- Salzberg, Sharon. Loving-Kindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness. 2002.
- Shapiron, Rami. The Sacred Art of Loving Kindness: Preparing to Practice. 2006.
- On Friendship: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/friendship/
- Baraz, James & Shoshana Alexander. Awakening Joy: 10 Steps that Will Put You on the Road to Real Happiness. 2010.
- Chodron, Pema. Start Where You Are, 1994.
- Hanh, Thich Nhat. No Mud. No Lotus. 2014.
- Lama, Dalai. The Wisdom of Forgiveness. 2004.
- Lama, Dalai. Ethics for a New Millennium. 1999.
- Moore, Thomas. Meditations: On the Monk Who Dwells in Daily Life, 1995.
- Palmer, Parker. Let Your Life Speak. 1999.
- Palmer, Parker. Healing the Heart of Democracy: The Courage to Create a Politics Worthy of the Human Spirit. 2011.
- Rawls, John. A Theory of Justice. 1971.
- Tutu, Desmond. No Future Without Forgiveness.
- Forni, P.M. Choosing Civility: The 25 Rules of Considerate Conduct. 2002.
- Forni, P.M. The Civility Solution: What to Do When People Are Rude. 2008.*
- Post, Peggy. Emily Post’s Etiquette, 18th Edition. 2011.
- Tuckerman, Amy. Vanderbilt, Amy Complete Book of Etiquette, 50th Anniversary Edition 1995.
- Winters, Charles and Anne. The Official Book of Electronic Etiquette. 2010.
- "How it Became Normal to Ignore Texts and Emails": The Atlantic Monthly
- Email, Blog and Online Etiquette: Online Etiquette
- To Text or Not to Text? That is truly the question. When should you exercise restraint? Does the receiver even like text messages? Click here to read more: Text Messaging Etiquette
- What to Consider When you Text: Are you a Good Texter?
- Texting Manners. I love these suggestions: Emily Post on Texting
- Cell Phone Manners. It should be so simple!: Emily Post on Cell Phones
Friends and visitors if you use any of the content, material or resources on this, website cite it (it's the right and legal thing to do).